Sunday, April 19, 2015

Reflection: age 21

As I turn 22 tomorrow, it seemed fitting to do a little reflection of the year. So much that I never expected to happen, happened while I was 21. It was definitely a year full of growing, stretching myself, and new adventures.

I made a list of things I wanted to do before I turned 22, and I'm sure I failed miserably at that list (I could take the time to find it, but seeing as it will probably be hilariously frivolous and slightly depressing, I'm going to skip that). I have since forgotten most of that list, probably since the day I wrote it, but a few of the items on that list have stuck with me: something about reading books, reading conference talks/devotionals, and attending the temple.

And you know what? I can say that I'm very pleased with how those goals turned out. I've read a ton of shallow, unimportant books... and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Conference talks also get me and answer a prayer, worry, or question in my heart. I've even started reading a spiritual, nonfiction book (something I never expected to do, let alone enjoy).

And lastly, the temple. This year, more so than any year prior, the temple has become a part of my life. I have grown to love the temple with a deeper appreciation and desire to attend. I am so thankful for the opportunity to enter the House of the Lord. It is a place of peace and joy. And I feel honored to attend.

Here, hours before I turn 22, days before I graduate from college, and weeks before I complete my first year teaching, I am grateful and at peace. I have grown in ways I never expected. I know the gospel of Christ is true more than ever before. I know Christ in a more personal way.

I can't even imagine what another year on this beautiful earth will bring, but I'm excited for it.